It’s been a while since I shared some of the wisdom on pastoring that I’ve come across over the last month or two. I thought it was time to pass some along. There are some helpful folks out there who have added value to me and to my ministry. A few of them can be found in the links below. I’m grateful for them.
- America’s Largest and Fastest-Growing Churches at Outreach Magazine - I’m always fascinated by lists like this. I wonder if some of these churches (not all of them) are anything more than a Sunday morning inspirational message and entertaining music. I wonder if they administer the sacraments, exercise church discipline, etc. I wonder what “counts” as membership in these congregations. I’m sure there’s not one answer to those questions. Just wondering.
- Are You a Preacher or a Motivational Speaker by Sherman Cox (at Sermon Central.com) Also, check out Cox’s website, SoulPreaching.
- Five Things We Do Instead of Preach the Word by James MacDonald (at Sermon Central.com)
- Nine Ways to Stay Motivated for Ministry by Rick Warren (at Pastors.com)
- What Are Guidelines for Setting a Pastor’s Salary? by Tom Nelson (at Gospel Coalition)
- 10 Tips for Better Preaching, Part 1 and Part 2 by Jim Martin at Sermon Central.com) Check out Martin’s website, GodHungry.
- Why Expository Preaching
- The Pastor and His Staff, Part 2 at 9Marks. Also at 9Marks, check out this audio interview on the mission of the church.