I went to see The Hobbit with my three sons earlier this week. Loved it and want to see it a second time. And yet, I’m not sure it moved me as much as any of the movies from The Lord of the Rings trilogy. As corny as this sounds (and I know it does) I had spiritual experiences watching those three movies. Listening to lectures by Peter Kreeft on The Lord of the Rings even enhanced those experiences. I have since watched those movies multiple times.
I think one of the reasons I was able to enjoy them so much is because I’m not a purist when it comes to Tolkien. I had never read the books prior to watching the movies. The three Chronicles of Narnia movies, on the other hand, were much more of a let down for me, perhaps because I had read those books on numerous occasions.
I had not read The Hobbit prior to seeing the movie (my boys and I started to do so… but sort of fell out of the groove). All I knew about The Hobbit was that Gandalf, Bilbo, and dwarves were in it. I really didn’t know much of the plot… and still don’t know much about what awaits in the second two parts of the story. Maybe that’s why I was able to enjoy it as much as I did. I do hope the next two parts will be moving in the way in which I experienced The Lord of the Rings. I hope that’s not an unfair expectation.
At any rate, there’s been much written in the last week or two on Tolkien, The Hobbit, etc. Here are a few articles, etc., that I thought were worth passing along to you.
- Tolkien: Man Behind the Myth at Christianity Today
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (a review) at Christianity Today
- The Hidden Purpose of The Hobbit’s Adventure by Devin Brown at Christianity Today
- The Foolish Wisdom of Bilbo Baggins by Matthew Dickerson at Christianity Today
- Tolkien Experts Talk About His Christian Themes (video) at Crosswalk.com
- Is The Hobbit a Christian Film? Yes and No at Crosswalk.com
- How to Watch The Hobbit by David Mathis at Crosswalk.com
- Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit Rings False (a review) at Crosswalk.com
- Middle-Earth and Back Again (a review) by Shane Morris at BreakPoint
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (a review) at Plugged In
- There and Back Again and Again and Again by Megan Bashan at WORLD Magazine