Join me in 2013 for a year’s journey of drawing closer to God, as well as learning more about our Christian faith, through the life and writings of C.S. Lewis, one of the most popular and influential Christian thinkers of the 20th century.
My goals for this focus are, first of all, to help acquaint you with the person and works of and about C.S. Lewis. Secondly, I pray that your view of God and the Christian life will grow richer and larger and livelier. Thirdly, my deepest hope is that you will take what you learn and put it into practice as well as share it with others.
There are two ways to spend this year with C.S. Lewis.
- You can think of this as, “Pastor Dale’s Book Club,” and simply read each month’s assigned book on your own. This will be an independent study of sorts. No checking-in required. Think of the assigned booklist as a helpful suggestion to aid your reading of C.S. Lewis.
2. You can think of this as a low-key directed study. By that I mean, if you so desire, you are more than welcome to set up times to meet with me to discuss each month’s book, what you’ve learned, questions you may have, etc. The last thing I want to do is add stress to your life, therefore, you are free to meet with me every other week, every other month, or not at all (or any other schedule that you can think of). The choice (and schedule) is up to you!
We begin our literary journey on January 1, 2013. You can check out the reading list below to see what interests you. Read a few of them… or read them all. Whatever you decide to do, I know you’ll be blessed by reading the books of and about this great man. More importantly, you’ll be even more blessed as you grow closer to the God of this great man.
Grace and Truth,
- January – The Narnian: The Life and Imagination of C.S. Lewis by Alan Jacobs (Biography)
- February – Surprised by Joy: The Shape of My Early Life by C.S. Lewis
- March – A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis
- March – Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
- April – The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis
- May – The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
- June – Seeking the Secret Place: The Spiritual Formation of C.S. Lewis by Lyle Dorsett
- July – Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer by C.S. Lewis
- August – The Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis
- September – Between Heaven & Hell: A Dialogue Somewhere Beyond Death with John F. Kennedy, C.S. Lewis & Aldous Huxley by Peter Kreeft
- October – Not A Tame Lion by Bruce L. Edwards
- November – The Soul of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe by Gene Veith
- December – The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
The books can be purchased online at Christianbook.com or Amazon.
Locally, I’m certain that Barnes and Noble or Lifeway Christian Store can order the books for you if they do not have them in stock.