- Do you have to believe in Jesus Christ to be saved?
- What about those who’ve never heard of Jesus… that innocent native in Africa?
- Is there salvation outside of the Christian faith?
- Do people really go to hell?
- Etc., etc., etc.
These are tough questions and they’re asked all the time. In fact, on the Board of Ordained Ministry here in Florida, we ask a similar question or two in hopes of getting our candidates to wrestle with such things. Certainly, they’ll be asked these kinds of questions in the churches they serve.
Below is a helpful bibliography to serve you in addressing these topics. To be sure, such questions require more thought and time than is usually offered on a television talk show. Perhaps a few of the books below will help inform you for your own edification as well as equip you to share what you learn with others.
- Eternity in Their Hearts by Don Richardson
- Foolishness to the Greeks by Lesslie Newbigin
- The Gospel in a Pluralist Society by Lesslie Newbegin
- The Apostolic Imperative by Carl Braaten
- Hell: The Logic of Damnation by Jerry Walls
- Universalism and the Doctrine of Hell, edited by Nigel M. de S. Cameron
- Sense and Nonsense About Heaven and Hell by Ken Boa and Robert Bowman
- Hell Under Fire, edited by Christopher Morgan and Robert Peterson
- Christian Faith & Other Faiths by Stephen Neill
- Salvation Tomorrow by Stephen Neill
- The Problem of Pluralism by Jerry Walls
- What About Those Who Have Never Hard? Three Views, edited by John Sanders
- Four Views on Salvation in a Pluralistic World, edited by Dennis Okholm and Timothy Phillips
- Truth in Religion by Mortimer Adler
- The Supremacy of Christ by Ajith Fernando
- Through No Fault of Their Own? edited by William Crockett and James Sigountos
- How Shall They Be Saved? by Millard Erickson
- Who Will Be Saved? edited by Paul House and Gregory Thornbury
- The Other Side of the Good News by Larry Dixon
- The Population of Heaven by Ramesh Richard
- One God, One Lord, edited by Andrew Clarke and Bruce Winter
- No Other Gospel! by Carl Braaten
- Christ Among Other gods by Erwin Lutzer
- Is Jesus the Only Savior? by Ronald Nash
- Is Jesus the Only Savior? by James Edwards
- Jesus Among Other Gods by Ravi Zacharias
- The Supremacy of Jesus by Stephen Neill
- Dissonant Voices by Harold Netland
- Encountering Religious Pluralism by Harold Netland
- Jesus Under Fire, edited by Michael Wilkins and J.P. Moreland
- Truth to Tell: The Gospel as Public Truth by Lesslie Newbigin